This internship project focuses on providing support to the research and
development activities in the field of cybercrime. Activities will include preparation
of relevant research topics, market studies, technical preparations and a lot of
technical hands-on job.
For this project, the intern will work within the European Cybercrime Centre
Forensic Laboratory and will collaborate with the team in charge of research;
opportunities will also be provided for the intern to assist in other relevant activities.
The project will be led and supervised by a Specialist within the EC3 Laboratory.
The successful applicant will join the Internship Project for a period of 3 months (40
hours a week), which may be extended for another period of up to 3 months. The
internship will take place at Europol premises in The Hague, The Netherlands.
Internship candidate must
• Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen;
• Have reached the age of majority in their country of origin;
• Have a level of education which corresponds to completed or ongoing
university studies or vocational training relevant for the tasks of Europol;
• Have very good knowledge of at least two European Union languages, of which one should be English;
• Provide a recent Certificate of Good Conduct prior to commencing the internship. Annex A of Europol Decision of the Director on Internships sets out an overview of relevant certificates for each of the Member States.
In line with Article 40(2) of the Council Decision, all interns who may be entrusted
with a sensitive activity or access classified information at Europol shall be security
cleared at the appropriate level2, prior to commencing the internship.
• Experience in cybercrime related research, cyber security, malware
engineering and networks.
Subject knowledge / education:
• Completed or ongoing studies related to the internship project area :
- Network forensics
- Reverse engineering
- Malware analysis
- General Pentesting knowledge
- Multi-OS flexibility
Technical skills and competencies:
• Good communication skills in English, both verbally and in writing;
• Fluent in Assembly language
• Proficient user of:
- IDA pro
- Immunity debugger
- GDB debugger
Social skills and competencies:
• Motivation to take part in the project;
• Interpersonal skills with the ability to work well in a team as well as independently;
• Ability to work in an international or multi-cultural environment;
• Flexibility and precision, combined with a desire to further develop own knowledge and experience.